Mamelodi Sundowns will host AmaZulu in the opening gameweek of the new PSL season with Cape Town City entertaining SuperSport United.
It’s going to be a thrilling start to the 2021/22 campaign as the defending champions host the team that finished second, albeit by some distance.
In the same fixture last season, the Brazilians beat Benni McCarthy’s side 4-3 in a sensational advert for football in South Africa.
The standout game to watch on the first Saturday will be in Cape Town where Cape Town City face Matsatsantsa. City finished seventh last term with Eric Tinkler re-taking the reins while the visitors ended fifth.
Both sides, together with AmaZulu, are in the group looking to become a real title threat.
In one of two matches on the opening Sunday, the newly crowned Carling Black Label Cup champions Kaizer Chiefs will travel to face TS Galaxy. The home side will be out for revenge after they were pipped to a place in the MTN8 when Chiefs won this encounter on the final day of last season.
DStv Premiership opening fixtures:
Friday 20 August:
- Mamelodi Sundowns vs AmaZulu (17h00)
Saturday 21 August:
- Orlando Pirates vs Stellenbosch (15:00)
- Sekhukhune United vs Chippa United (15:00)
- Golden Arrows vs Maritzburg United (15:00)
- Baroka vs Marumo Gallants (17:00)
- Cape Town City vs SuperSport United (17:00)
Sunday 22 August:
- Swallows vs Bloemfontein Celtic (15:00)
- TS Galaxy vs Kaizer Chiefs (17:00)